Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cock-A-Doodle-What?

Lots of thoughts swirl around when you’re thinking of making a hand-made gift for someone.  For me, it has to be a very good (tettering on great) friend or a family member.  After all, it’s hard work thinking up a special project, hours of meticulously cutting fabric, when piecing - demanding of yourself the sharpest of points, then bursting with pride at the completed project.  Hmm.  It wasn’t quite the ending I had envisioned.


My niece (Em) is turning 12, through 4-H she’s began to sew and would like to learn to quilt.  I'll get you my pretty!  Auntie Tina is more than willing to get her started!  Because she raised chickens this summer I decided to make her a chicken pin cushion.  Em loves Vera Bradley bags, so I tried to find fabric which resembled VB.  (Much like she did with her apron and pot holders she made for 4-H)  I’m thinking….what a cool Aunt I am!  Em opens her gift, holds up by the tail…..and asks….what it is?  Argh.  I explain she’s holding it wrong and to flip it up.  Still…nothing.   It’s a chicken Em, a chicken pin cushion.  Ooohh, thanks.  To think I worked so hard on that perfect beak!


By the end of lunch, Em said “oh, I see it now, that’s cool”

Maybe a little too abstract for the Tween crowd….



No comments:

Post a Comment