Monday, February 25, 2013

Snow day means a sew day!

Oh yeah!  The snow (and I mean lots of it) couldn't have arrived at a better time.  A much needed mental reprive from my daytime gig was in order.  Not that I don't loooove my job, but I was really in the mood to sew.  And sew is exactly what I did on my 2 snow days off from work. 

First, I worked on a pattern from the most current Primitive Quilts and Projects , that is, until I ran out of 3/8 inch Hexagons.

Then, I pieced together the New Dresden Plate quilt and began the appliqued vines.  I still have to make about 150 leaves to attach to the vines......hmm, we're due more snow tonight....could there be another snow day in my future? 

In total, we received about 10 inches of snow in one day.

View from the kitchen

While the Hubs makes it sound like hard work doing the
snow removal, I think he enjoys it.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Gettin' close......

 Carol Doak has just posted the final mystery BOM.   April is the actuall finally, and she’ll reveal the layout of the mystery blocks.  While I haven’t started on my March block yet, I’ve arranged and rearranged my blocks into several possibilities.   Carol requested everyone try to guess the final layout and post a pic to the yahoo group.  Thinking I had a pretty good guess I submitted my fav, only to find out ol’Tina here didn’t have the correct layout.  Hmm, Would she have told me if it was correct?  I think not….then the mystery would be over!

February's block is actually 4 - 6 1/2" separate blocks
My final guess - without the March block

Friday, February 15, 2013

The Dresden Dish

Like I wasn’t busy enough with my BOM’s, I started a Dresden Plate quilt/wall hanging.  It’s a “shop” pattern made by Rita at the Quilter’s Station.  My friend Sue and her sister Cheri started the quilt using the same (or similar) fabrics as the shop, but I wanted something a little brighter.  Actually my fabric choice made little sense, as the “shop” colors would fit into the main decor of our house, but I’d like to put this wall hanging in a spare bedroom.   
The 36 - 6 1/2 inch blocks are now complete - the light green is the background fabric and the different greens will be the leaves on the appliqued vine, which is placed throughout the quilt.
While cleaning the sewing room (which should happen far more than it does -who knows what other treasures I might find!), I found this Lisa Bongean pattern buried under some fabric.  It was too cute and tempting to wait until I had finish numerous other projects, so I whipped it together this past week.  Instead of making it a pin cushion (as the pattern suggests), I added an additional flower sprig on the right side of the basket and plan to frame to hang on the wall.   

Thursday, February 7, 2013

G'night, sleep tight....don't let the bed bugs bite!

It goes without saying, Miss Shelly needed a bed for her Christmas American Girl doll!  But grandma (me) couldn’t afford a “real” AG bed.  Sharing this dilemma with my friend Sue, she told me about a group of Iowa ladies who were making doll beds out of plastic totes.   I wasn’t familiar with these beds, but with Google Image at my fingertips, I was able to find several pictures of “tote” beds.  What a great idea!  When Shelly and her doll go visiting, she can pack up her bedding and accessories in the tote.  Not finding a pattern, I figured I could come up with my own version, especially since everyone isn’t using the same size tote. 

A sheet set too!
Fitted sheet pulled back to show thin mattress
Top of plastic tote
Skirt is removable from tote
Instead of using elastic at the top of the skirt, I used velcro. I thought the elastic would slip down easily
I also numbered the velco tabs on the skirt and tote so
Shelly could assemble on her own
Finished bed!