Friday, April 13, 2012

The Vintage Dish...

I have a weakness for Vintage linens, quilts and embroidered items.  I have oodles of hankies and table clothes, but just a few quilts.  When visiting Henry’s Tea Room and Antiques, I picked up this basket quilt with red trim.  It’s thread bare in a few spots and a little rough on the top border –  I’ll hide the wear and tear areas and display for awhile, then maybe make some throw pillows or use for smaller projects from the quilt.


So….I thought I got a pretty good deal on the vintage basket quilt…..until….a few days later, Dora shows up at work with this quilt.  She’d stopped at an Estate Sale and was able to snag this quilt for a couple of bucks!  A measly $2!  And then said, I could have it!   It’s thread bare in a few spots, but ooh so cute and will make really cute pillows, pin cushions or some adorable thing.  Thanks for thinking of me Dora!! 





I want to share this quilt because it is my most prized possession.  My grandma made me this quilt for me during my senior year of high school.   With umpteen cousins (and being one of the younger cousins/grandchildren) I was so very happy when it was my turn to receive a quilt.  As long as I could remember, between farming and cooking (and she was a fabulous cook!), she’d work on embroidered blocks.  All of my grandmother’s quilts were hand embroidered, blocks were pieced together on her Singer treadle machine, then hand quilted with templates made from cereal boxes! 

Can you see the quilted center flower?  It's present in almost all of her quilts!!   

1 comment: