Monday, February 27, 2012

When in doubt…..follow the pattern!
I’d like to think I’m “on the ball” most of the time.  Had my “stuff” together, if you will.  But when I decided to make a Needlebook (Birthday gift) for my friend Jennifer, it was like I needed a refresher course in Sewing 101. I ran across a slew of free patterns and tutorials for Needle Books & Cases and thought this would be a perfect gift.  Not having made one before, it looked easy peasy – but not being able to decided on just one pattern, I thought I’d improvise and come up with my own version.  I mean, really…it’s just a little needle carrier thingy, how difficult could it be?  Eye roll.  I’ve never struggled so much in my life with a sewing project, I mis-measured, cut too short, sewed a right side with a wrong side, then sewed it all together without attaching the button loop…..argh!  What the heck was going on?  At times, I’m a little slow to figure things out – but it finally occurred to me.... had I made a sample Needlebook, or one for a family member I wouldn’t have felt the it’s-got-to-be-perfect pressure of a puny pin holder on my back.   I’m forever doing stuff like this, what should have taken me an evening to complete took me four evenings to finish!  Yeah, I know, it’s crazy.  Just wait until I’m invited over for dinner, I’ll have a bright idea to bring a new recipe, a dish I’ve never tried before – then work myself into a frenzy worrying if the dish will be edible or tossed to the dog!
While I think it turned out fairly well, it was a hair puller to be sure!

Opened to show the back....


A pocket on the inside, and monogrammed for that personal touch!




I used a Charm pack (Moda, maybe?) and coordinating felt for the Needlebook, then added a spool of thread and a pair of Stork Embroidery scissors.


No comments:

Post a Comment