Friday, July 10, 2015

Hexie Brag Bag

My fellow co-worker and quilty friend Dora is a fiber artist.  I’ve admired her fiber pieces for years.  No matter how busy we are at work, Dora, Jen and I sneak off for show-n-tell when we’ve completed a project.  I lean towards traditional (more of a repro nut), Jen is very middle of the road (modern fabrics and patterns with a little traditional thrown in) and Dora (straight up modern, free flowing and refuses to use a rotary cutter – I can’t even wrap my head around that). We couldn’t be more different, but when we’ve had sewing days together, I’m mystified by their creativity. 

However, every once in a while Dora surprises me…..could there be a spark of traditional deep within her, fighting to get out?  Not long ago, she calls me in her office – she seemed almost giddy like she has a big secret to share.  Dora pulls out her latest bag.  A hexie tote!  Nothing like her other bags she’s whipped together - full of texture like silks, corduroys, wools, etc., but a cotton hexie tote.  Absolutely stunning.  I love it and told her I had every intention of copying and making one for myself!  







Dora, with one of her pieces hanging in an exhibit.  Being a scientist, she replicated something you’d see under a microscope. 
Wish I had more photos of her many pieces. 


Dora’s version of traditional.  A baby gift for a friend.  




2 comments: