Wednesday, May 13, 2015

When life hands you lemons...

I hadn’t been home from my quilt retreat but a few days when my mom had a stroke.  Not one, but two strokes within days of each other.  In technical terms – she’s had a stroke/hemianopsia.  Three small brain bleeds and one large one.  To me, that sounds super serious but once the neuro-surgeon explained everything..... had anymore bleeding occurred she would have been paralyzed, so they didn't consider this as bad as I did. Since this happened on the right rear side of her brain, it’s effected Marge’s left side. The stroke damage has taken her left peripheral vision from both eyes.  Some weakness on the left side of her body, but she’s workin’ out the kinks at the rehab facility.  It’s been a couple of weeks since the initial stroke and she’s been able to regain full use of her left side, but still has left side blindness.


Does that mean Marge has let this get her down?  Ah no, she’s trying to manipulate me into breaking her out of the rehab facility. She’s bored and tired of being in bed.  I’m starting to worry she’ll barter “favors” to get a good cup of coffee – which means a cup loaded with caffeine.  She’s keeping me on my toes….I took off work while she was hospitalized and I visit each and every night after work at the rehab – each day I see her progression and with each day that ol’bird is getting ornerier. 


Coming home for my mom could be right around the corner.  Let’s hope it’s before I get a call she’s been found down the street at Starbucks!  





Now for lighter thoughts and some quilt dish!

I’ll admit I’m a snail at piecing.  But I started off the quilt retreat without having my project totally cut out.  So once at my destination, my rotary cutter didn’t stop until bed time.  Needless to say, my high hopes of completing the quilt didn’t happen. 

I have 5 additional rows complete which I haven’t added yet – then I’ll be slightly more than half done.  This 30's repro was intended to be the summer quilt for the spare bedroom.  Good thing I didn’t specify which year…




Wouldn’t you agree it’s important to support local and small businesses?  Of course, right? My thoughts exactly!  As we made our way through northern Missouri towards the retreat, we made a few stops.  And, seeing how I wanted to unwind a little, I couldn’t help but think this local establishment had just what I needed……


No comments:

Post a Comment