Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Fair Lady

Off and on I’ve been searching for a Singer Featherweight.  I’m in no rush, I know they can be very pricey so I periodically look on ebay, Craig’s list, estate sales, antique stores, etc.  While searching Craig’s List I found this vintage White Sewing machine.  At a glance, I didn’t know how old it was or anything about it – but knew I had to have it.  Does it not scream Mad Men?  From the moment it seen it, I had visions of me sitting at this machine with my hair in an up-do, wearing a pencil skirt complete with peep toe stiletto’s (reality: flannel pants and Birkenstocks, but this is my dream).  The owner wanted $25, said she hadn’t used it in over 20 years but (as far as she knew) it ran fine.   I pick a time when my hubby can go with me, but the owner calls me shortly before I’m schedule to go look at it and says she can’t get the machine to run properly and if I still want it, I can have it – no charge.   No charge!  As soon as I can get my hair in the proverbial up-do, I’m out the door!  With some cleaning, oiling and tweaking, she’s purring like a kitten.  The straight stitch presser foot is missing (ordered one online) – Since I’m finding it difficult to get a consistent ¼ inch seam allowance, I’ve picked a paper piecing project to start.


The picture isn't as clear as I had hoped - there's not a scratch or imperfection on this machine. Even though the seller didn't feel right charging for what she thought was a broke machine, I gave her a $20 bill for it.  
 
About the only information I could find about this vintage White, it debuted at the World Fair in 1963-64ish  (New York I believe) and was coined “My Fair Lady”.  Must be something to it, as I’ve read this on several vintage sewing machine blogs.  Sounds good to me, My Fair Lady it is.





This will be me after some sewing time on My Fair Lady - complete with pearls and apron.  The house tidy and dinner on the table when my man gets home from work....ha!  Make this vintage nightmare stop! 

2 comments:

  1. Great post Tina. How funny! I'm Kim, Rhonda's sister. She sent me over to your blog. I'm enjoying the read.... Check out my blog too whenever you get the chance. http://www.kimskottage.blogspot.com/
    I'm new to blogging, maybe I can learn some tricks from you????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I checked out your blog - I love it! Wish I could show you some tricks...but I'm still fumbling around myself. I still can't figure out the right side panel thingy - where the blog archive is....Now that I've seen yours, I want a snazzy background like you've got!

      Delete